Sunday 5 September 2010

More Onsen, and a Hippy Guest House!

Yesterday I met up with someone for a drink, and he showed me around the most traditional area of Kyoto, which was sooo interesting! He showed me the old Tea Ceremony houses, where the high class families used to live. In which many traditions are still kept. The houses are made entirely of wood, so buckets of water are kept outside so that if a fire starts inside the house a member of the household can quickly get water from outside to extinguish it. You will just have to turn your heads because I cant seem to turn this one around haha.


Later on I found a very nice, but very old guest house. It used to be a guest house 500 years ago and is now a hippy guest house for japanese backpackers. Everyone here is really kind and welcoming, even if I cannot speak japanese very well they still welcome me. At about 7pm last night I heard a sequential dongs of a bell or something outside. And they told me that it was someone walking down the street, and the ringing was telling the families in the houses to start to put out there fires. Because in those days they didnt have gas ovens that they can easily put out. This is very rare for someone to do this today but it was so good to see that some traditions are still kept.

4 comments:

  1. You are finding some really interesting places. Also sounds like some of the hostels you are staying in are part of the whole experience!

    How hot is it out there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, your time in Japan looks so amazing! I cant wait to hopefully do some travelling next summer myself :) You've done really well finding yourself places to stay every night, and
    managing to keep to your budget too! Hope you manage to meet up with all the people you're planning to and that the rest of your time over there continues to be as interesting... I'm jealous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Adam, for all the work you put into your blog to keep everyone up to date. It's great to have all your news and to know you are well and happy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah its really really hot here but dont worry I have suncream :D.

    Thanks Granny and Grandad :) I miss everyone back home..

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.